6. Enforce a judgment

You can ask the court to collect payment from the person or business who owes you money (the ‘debtor’) if they don’t pay you after receiving the court order.

You must pay a court fee when you ask the court to collect the payment.

Find out what the debtor can afford to pay

Ask the court to order the debtor to attend court to provide evidence of their income or spending, eg bills and statements.

If the money is owed by a business, you can ask for an officer from the company to attend court and give details of its accounts.

You can then decide if you want the court to take further action to collect your payment.

Send bailiffs to collect payment

You can ask the court to send bailiffs to collect the money.

Use Money Claim Online if you used it to make your original claim.

If you made your original claim with a paper form, you should download and fill in either:

  • form N323 – to apply at a county court (you must be owed £5,000 or less)
  • form N293A – to apply at the High Court (you must be owed at least £600)

You can apply to either a county court or the High Court if you’re owed between £600 and £5,000.

You may need legal advice if you apply at the High Court.

The bailiff will ask for payment within 7 days. If the debt isn’t paid, the bailiff will visit the debtor’s home or business to see if anything can be sold to pay the debt.

Get money deducted from wages

You can ask the court to take money from the debtor’s wages to pay the debt. They do this by sending an order to the debtor’s employer.

Download and fill in a request for an attachment of earnings order.

Freeze assets or money in an account

The court can freeze money in the debtor’s bank, building society or business account.

Download and fill in a request for a third party debt order.

The court will decide if money from the account can be used to pay the debt.

Charge the debtor’s land or property

You can ask the court to charge the debtor’s land or property.

Download and fill in a request for a charging order.

If the land or property is sold, the debtor must pay this charge before they get their money.

Interested in finding out more?

Get in touch with us now to find out how we can help.