Make a court claim for money

1. Overview

You can apply to a county court to claim money you’re owed by a person or business.

This is known as making a court claim. It used to be known as taking someone to a ‘small claims court’.

A mediation service could be quicker and cheaper than going to court. Mediation is when an impartial person helps both sides work out an agreement.

The process is different in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Make a claim

You can make your claim online if you’re claiming for a fixed (‘specified’) amount of money.

If you’re claiming for an unspecified amount of money, you must download and fill in a claim form (N1) instead.

Send the claim form to:

County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
M5 0BY

You must also pay a court fee when you make a claim.

What happens next

You might have to go to a court hearing if the other person or business (the ‘defendant’) denies owing the money.

You can get the court to order them to pay if they admit owing the money or don’t respond to your claim.

If they still don’t pay, you can ask the court to take further steps to collect the money, eg using bailiffs.

Get help making a claim

Contact the Money Claim Online help desk if you’re making the claim online.

Money Claim Online help desk
0300 123 1057
0160 461 9402
Monday to Friday, 8:45am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Contact the court centre if you’re using the claim form.

County Court Money Claims Centre
0300 123 1372
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Interested in finding out more?

Get in touch with us now to find out how we can help.